Seem familiar? I could post Monday's game thoughts, replacing John Lannan with Odalis Perez, and it would describe tonight's game pretty well. This team is a mess, and it's painful to watch. I wish the Mets could pull a "Bull Durham", and turn the sprinklers on all night at Nationals Park to cause a "rain out" tomorrow. Here are your game thoughts:
- Perez, 2008 vs. the Mets before tonight:
4 G, 21.1 IP, 6.33 ERA, 6.33 K/9, 2.02(!) WHIP
7.1 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 6 K, 0 BB
- Mike Pelfrey pitched his heart out, finishing 7 innings despite tiring towards the end. It's not your fault Mike. It's not your fault.
- Jose Reyes, Ryan Church, David Wright, Carlos Beltran, and Carlos Delgado the last 2 nights: 3-37, 2 BB, 2 RBI
- It looks like Fernando Tatis is going to miss the rest of the regular season, after injuring his shoulder pretty seriously. This is the capper on a terrible night. Fernando has really been tremendous this year: .299/.372/.487, with 11 HR and a ton of clutch hits.
- I hate to be so critical of the guy, but Argenis Reyes simply is not a major league hitter. He is now 0 for his last 16, and basically an automatic out. For all the hatred directed at Luis Castillo, he is not nearly as poor a hitter as A. Reyes. (Side note: A. Reyes had a .672 OPS at AAA before being called up. That's not very good. Why has he been up with the big club so long? )
- Why did Ramon Martinez (who?) not go to 3rd in the 8th inning on Robinson Cancel's hit and run single??
- Joel Hanrahan throws hard, but he literally did not throw anything but a fastball in 17 9th inning pitches. Beltran hit a pretty good shot, but Wright and Delgado were pretty overmatched.
The Mets are no longer in first place, as the Phillies held off the Braves 8-7. Thankfully, the Brewers are collapsing even worse than the Mets are, as they lost to the Cubs 5-4. The Wild Card is still a possibility. Brandon "Dark" Knight starts tomorrow, in the first of about 12 must win games the rest of the way.